[plug] ext2, reiserfs, promptless recovery

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Oct 6 14:25:40 WST 2000

Kim Covil wrote:
>> Leon Brooks wrote:
>>> some of the machines in question live in
>>> extremely hostile environments.

>> You should know better than to take on clients who have children :-)

I suffer from that myself.

> There is no reason not to make all your partitions reiserfs as long as
> you remember to compile reiserfs INTO the kernel (NOT as a module) and
> if possible get yourself a bootable rescue floppy with reiserfs IN its
> kernel too...

My system has it as a module in the initial RAMdisk. Same story as booting from
SCSI. No kernel recompiles. Actually, I haven't done one of those for months...
I prefer to make /boot a separate ext2 partition rather than reiser and in with
everything else as it's easier to futz with it if you have booting problems, and
it's simple to ensure that the kernel and inital RAMdisk are within reach of any
kind of BIOS. Mounting /boot readonly by default makes it more or less
bulletproof.

--
Press any key to continue or any other key to abort.