[plug] [why not staroffice]

tlee tlee at enternet.com.au
Sat Oct 7 22:18:23 WST 2000

Thanks for the feedback on programming - this is certainly an active group.
I too have found that C does not handle strings as well as some other languages,
but I have heard from nerds that C is very good for writing languages, and for
operating systems. I reason that most sysadmins must use C a lot for patches and
the like, but that nobody would actually sit down and write a long program in C.
Am I right in thinking this?
But I also find that most languages look very like C to me with the variable
initialisations, include libraries and the like - also the layout of the source
code is very much like C.
I heard that unix itself was written in C, so I reason that everybody should know
a bit of C. Also it is not high level but yet not low level like assembler.
Perhaps mid level, which means that you have to do a lot of lines of code to come
up with the same outcome as yo could with much less coding in Pascal? Even though
they say C is very portable I found code which would compile and run under turbo C
would not do so on microsof C. Also would not compile on GC, so I am wondering
just how portable it is?