[plug] [why not staroffice]

jeffw at mbox.com.au jeffw at mbox.com.au
Sun Oct 8 12:36:49 WST 2000

> How about real applications to use at one's work. Databases are
> the things we use
> most, but what language would you suggest to write database
> programs in linux.

I'd say it depends a lot on the type of interface you want to want for
the database. Currently, I'm writing a web based interface, for which
perl is great. If you're looking at a stand alone application then
maybe you want to look at C/C++ and some sort of graphics toolkit. As
far as I know, all these languages have *fairly* similar API's for
database access. I'm currently using DBI for perl.

Jeff