[plug] [why not staroffice]

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sun Oct 8 14:30:22 WST 2000

On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 06:00:40AM +0800, tlee wrote:
> Great to hear you using C for whole program. No doubt that C is greased
> lighting. But network traffic seems to me to be very much domain of sysadmins
> whom I think use C all the time for patching and the like, but would you sit
> down and write a general ledger program for instance in C knowing that most of
> the work is going to revolve around master file, transaction file databases?

I would suggest that most of the accounting and a lot of the database
programs out there would be written in C.  Some database programs could
be written in things like COBOL or Perl (which makes an excellent data
manipulation language) or using higher-level interfaces.  Either way, C
is still pretty popular.