[plug] wget a dirrectory tree

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Oct 13 09:17:57 WST 2000

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 navarre at plug.linux.org.au wrote:

> wget -r -m -l99 -nH -g on
> ftp://username:password@hostname:21/old_d/data/*

> ==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /old_d/data/web ...
> No such directory `/old_d/data/web'.

It seems to be trying to CD to /old_d/data/web not
/home/navarre/old_d/data/web

Try modifying your ftp URL to:
ftp://username:password@hostname:21/home/navarre/old_d/data/*

Alternatively, you could ftp in with ncftp and use "mget -R *" to
recursively download a directory tree.

or even better yet, run something like this on the machine with the hard
disc:

cd /home/navarre/
tar cf - old_d/data|ssh navarre at targethost tar xvpf -

If the cpu speeds on your machines are faster than the available
bandwidth, you could even compress the files before they are transmitted
over the wire by adding "z" or "I" to the tar options on both sides.

ie

tar czf - old_d/data|ssh navarre at targethost tar xzvpf -

 - Matt