[plug] Home page

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Fri Oct 13 18:30:44 WST 2000

> Robert Andrews wrote:
>
> Hi can sombody please tell me why from a remote comp I can go to my
> Linux home page
> i.e http://203.57.132.141/~user
> but I cannot go to http://203.57.132.141/home/user/public_html
> The error is Forbidden you don't have permission to accesss
> /home/user/public_html on this server.
> The error returned has the obvious answer but where do I enable access
> i.e Squid or Apache
> It seems to me to be in Apache if so what file i.e httpd.conf or
> srm.conf
> Please bear with me I no Linux hotshot.

You don't want to do this, because it would require you to allow access
via your Web server to view pretty much any file on your server, from
the root directory on down, which would be a security and
confidentiality hole. The /~username alias allows access from the level
of the relevant public_html (in this case) directory on down, but not to
any directories above it, which is almost certainly the way you want it
to be. Unless you want us all to be able to read your mail ...

Colin