[plug] Home page

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Fri Oct 13 18:51:24 WST 2000

Robert Andrews wrote:

> Okay thanks Colin
> So then I need to go another way I must have file permissions set wrong
> what I want to be able to do is go to
> http://203.57.132.141/~user/somedirectory/index.htm
> i.e I have some sub-directorys under /public_html that I cannot access via a
> browser i can ftp to the directorys.I have set the files permissions on the
> directorys and files to 777 but access is still denied.

The permissions on /home/username are probably 700. Try :
chmod 701 /home/username
(replacing with the appropriate username of course), but be aware that
this gives all local users the right to read the list of which files are
in the /home/username directory, so you'll need to take some care with
permissions on your other files in future if it's a multiuser machine.

Colin