[plug] LaTeX -> Word converter?

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Tue Oct 17 10:58:55 WST 2000

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 05:59:24PM +0800, Nick Bannon wrote:

> Well, yes - we're talking Word 6 (for Windows 3.1), though... Linux and
> NT _do_ do zeroing. (I think Linux uses optimised FPU assembler to do
> it on x86) I still it's reprehensible that Word leaves large chunks of
> unused space in the saved file - the fact that it has security
> implications as well is almost beside the point. ::-)

The point that I made in the footnote was that the definition of a
multi-user system is somewhat blurred.  If you define such as a system
where multiple users share the same system resources for their
respective code and data then isn't this the same scenario where a Win95
user opens a web browser and downloads a web page plus some ActiveX or
Java applet?  Suddenly you have a multi-user scenario but a system that
wasn't built to handle it.

BTW, I think you'll find if you check the original email that security
was, in fact, the very point that was being made... (That is, it would
be especially embarrassing and damaging for a lawyer if they sent a Word
document containing hidden confidential information that wasn't supposed
to be there.)

Regards,

Christian.