[plug] Setting up Xwrits

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Wed Oct 18 15:42:16 WST 2000

>I've been doing a shed load of hacking lately, and my wrists are getting
>quite sore at times. As all you geeks should know, this is *not*
>something you should ignore. Anyway, I've installed xwrits, but I'd like
>to be able to set it to run automatically when I run X. Does anyone know
>how this can be done?

There are a number of ways of doing this depending on the version of linux
and desktop you are running, eg

- globally (Redhat 6.2), create a shell script to start it and put it in
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ (RedHat 6.1 has slightly different system) - good
if you're the only user, and will work for root as well.

- locally, create your own startup script eg ~/.XClients will work from
memory regardless of runlevel (3 or 5) using the global one as a template
(exact details of global startup elude me at the moment :-). This can be
messy though and may conflict with things like switchdesk .

-locally, put a script file in your kde Autostart folder if you're running
kde. Don't know about gnome.

hope this helps,

cheers,

Dave