[plug] ppp dialup problems

BillK billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 19 09:08:45 WST 2000

at commands were originally by Hayes.  Do a net search on "hayes command
set".  Note that there are the usual variations on the standard.

very useful are at&v, at&v0, at&v1, which should list the profiles,
current profile and backup profile respectively.  at&0 and at&1 are not
supported by my current modem tho.

Ive seen two things give these symptoms - a speed mismatch/overspeed on
the port - what are you using, irq etc as well as handshaking (always
should use hardware) drops out at too high a speed depending on
processor/modem/processor load ...

and a busted/intermittant serial cable or possibly a one that does not
have all pins connected (i.e., a cheapie) - if some of the handshake
lines come adrift, speed overuns/data corruption is inevitable.

And another one, what com port are you using - should not be com 3 if
you are using com 1 for a mouse, seen that too, but was a slow 486.

BillK