[plug] User account management

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Thu Oct 19 09:37:10 WST 2000

Hi all.

Is this list alive? Apparently I haven't had anything from it since 1am
Tuesday.

I am looking for advice regarding managing systems with close on a
thousand user accounts.  I am wanting to delegate some sys-admin
functions to departmental representatives (rather than me managing all
users).  I would like these semi-sys-admins to be able to create/delete
users under their control, enable/disable the accounts, override the
passwords, and set mail aliases.  Is there a clean way of achieving
this?  What package should I be looking at?

The other thing because we run multiple servers, how can I get user
accounts changes in one server to be propogated to the other servers?
At the moment my script uses 'expect' to upload to the various servers
the passwd/shadow/group files.  Do I need to be looking at yp or
something like that?

Thanks
--
Paul Baumgarten
Information Systems Manager, Kingsway Christian College
Email: paul at bauma.com.au or paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Mobile: 041 994 2779