[plug] Backup Tape Programs

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sat Oct 21 16:33:50 WST 2000

At 11:54 AM 10/21/00 +0800, Nick Bannon wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 09:02:55AM +0800, Phillip Steege wrote:
>> I just picked up an old scsi (1Gb) Tandberg Model TDC 3800 tape backup
unit.  I added it to my Mandrake system and am able to access it with "mt
-f /dev/st0 status".
>> What are some recommendations for backup programs (besides tar/gtar)?
>
>dump/restore, and AMANDA.

Amanda is great for an organization with a number of systems that they want
to back up, but perhaps overkill for a home site.

A problem with Amanda is the number of tapes you need. Amanda puts each
backup in the cycle on a separate tape. Even if there was lots of space on
yesterday's tape, and today's backup would fit, Amanda does not keep track
of this stuff, and simply puts the new backup on a new tape.

>http://www.amanda.org/
>
>Nick.
>
>--
>  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
>nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com