[plug] Intel Express Pro 10 settings

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Oct 23 11:49:03 WST 2000

> Phillip Steege wrote:
>
> I have recently loaded RedHat 6.2 on my computer and forgot the Intel
> EtherExpress settings I used when I had the network running under Mandrake 7.
>
> What settings can you use for an Intel EtherExpress Pro 10 NIC setup.
> I tried 0x300, irq 5 and 0x220 irq 7 during Mandrake installation, but the
> autoprobe did not find the card.

It has a DOS-based setup program. 0x200 (!) will often work. Try this (not on a
production machine, as it may freeze up - unless you;re running ReiserFS, mount
everything readonly for the test and do a sync):

#!/bin/bash
#
# Find eepro by ``brute force and ignorance'' method (which is what
# shell scripting was born for :-)
#
for x in 1 2 3 4; do
    for y in 0 2 4 6 8 A C E; do
	echo Trying 0$x${y}0
	modprobe eepro io=0x0$x${y}0
	if lsmod | grep eepro; then
		echo -e "\\a0x0$x${y}0 worked!"
		exit 0
	fi
    done
done
exit 1

If it freezes, on the next run skip that address and try again:

	if [ X0$x${y}0 == X02E0 ]; then
	    continue;
	fi

--
Remember, a closed mouth gathers no foot. -- Steve Post