[plug] vmware

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Mon Oct 23 13:10:49 WST 2000

I concur with Colin. Give it heaps of RAM, run full screen and take the time
to install the VmWare tools. They make a huge difference, particularly in
the video department. I've mainly used it for developing and testing web
pages in a windows environment while serving Apache/MySQL/PHP at the same
time in Linux. Beautiful... You can have heaps of fun with the virtual
networking.

It has run everything I've thrown at it. Remember an APC magazine issue some
time ago that had OS/2, BeOS and RedHat 6.2 on the over CDs? I was running
6.1 at the time, and for a laugh, I installed OS/2 and Red Hat 6.2 inside
their own virtual boxes to join the Win 98 SE virtual box already in there.
Worked a treat. Yeah sure, it's not as fast as those operating systems
running natively, but it sure is useful for trying stuff out.

It's also nice seeing Win9x controlled in its own little quarantined,
isolated box, where it can't get out and hurt something...

Dennis.