[plug] Tiptoeing thru the Tulips (was: EEPro settings)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Oct 24 23:28:21 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Christopher Darby wrote:
>> What is the advantage of using the Tulip chipset?
>> Is it because they have more reliability in general, or that the
>> chipsets are better supported under Linux?

> Both

Plus very efficient (minimal copying around of stuff by the CPU, minimal
setup/knockdown overhead etc). I can get over 8 megaBYTEs a second out of a
single FTP transfer between Tulip-equipped Linux boxen, and the boxen in
question are both still useable meanwhile (-: provided you don't want something
off the network :-)

--
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore,
be regarded as a criminal offense.