[plug] RPM's

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 26 11:16:33 WST 2000

russ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there different versions of rpm? I'm getting this message:
>
> only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of
> RPM
>
> Thanks
> russ

I got that message, when I downloaded the RPM's, to upgrade from
Netscape 4.7x, to 4.61, on Red Hat 6.2. I figured it was something to do
with the version of RPM being too old; and, with the Netscape RPM's
being 4.x, appeared to indicate that the RPM version dated back to when
Netscape 3.0 was around. Probably completely wrong, but, it seemed a
logical assumption.

Sent an email to Red Hat, querying it; company appears too big, to
either acknowledge, or, respond to emails.

Had to bypass RPM, and use the .tar.gz file. That worked.

Oh, and, yes upgrading from Netscape 4.7x, to 4.61, was well and truly
worth it. The mail application works (note the OS, in the full header,
Leon), automatically importing all settings, and previous emails, both
of which 4.7x could not, and, I have not yet got a system crash from
using 4.61, as I did, frequently, from using 4.7x.

Still unable to file messages, but haven't been able to do that for some
time now, whichever version, and, whichever OS platform I use. I don't
know why. Maybe, it is the number of messages retained, or, the size of
the Inbox file. And, Netscape still crashes, from time to time, but,
nowhere near as bad as 4.7x.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988