[plug] mounting CD in DVD drive

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Oct 30 09:15:49 WST 2000

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 navarre at plug.linux.org.au wrote:

> Attempting to mount the drive as root (to get the error messages) I get:

<snip>

> The system is Debian Potato 2.2.17 kernel. Was working fine using an ASUS
> 36x ATAPI CD ROM drive, I changed this to the ASUS 8X DVD ROM drive not
> other changes in Linux.
> The drive worked fine in Winblows, played a full length DVD movie, loaded
> program software under Windows. Any attempt to mount a CD in Linux
> results in the above error and no mounting. Several different CD disks
> tried including the one I installed under Windows.

I had a similar problem .... I had a CD drive that work happily under a kernel
built by RedHat BUT not my me :(
Through much playing (I spent 3 hours in a config;build;install;boot;testi
loop)  Eventually I worked out which kernel seetings I'd left out and all was
fine.  I seem to recall that it was:
----
Block Devices:
Generic PCI IDE chipset support
 Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
----

Try that .... if that fails then I can always send you my .config for
2.2.18pre17  and you can try that.

> Secondary question - to create the console text above I ran the prompt as
> root, the error text scrolled off the screen, using shift page up I
> scrolled back the console buffer which I grabed using gpm, scrolled back
> and created a text file using ed added the text fro the gpm buffer into
> the new document, then suspended ed went back and grabed the rest of the
> error text, put ed in foreground pasted the secong gpm buffer closed the
> file and there I have it. Was there another way? I thing you can redirect
> stderr to a file yes/no?

In Bash you can:
# mount /mnt/cdrom 2>/tmp/mount.out
This will make stderr end up in the file /tmp/mount.out
# mount /mnt/cdrom >/tmp/mount.out 2>&1
This will make stdout and stderr end up in the file /tmp/mount.out
# mount /mnt/cdrom >/tmp/mount.out 2>/tmp/mount.err
This will make stdout goto /tmp/mount.out and stderr end up in the file
/tmp/mount.err
in Csh:
mount /mnt/cdrom >& /tmp/mount.out
Send both stdeer and out to /tmp/mount.out
(mount /mnt/cdrom >/tmp/mount.out) >& /tmp/mount.err
This will make stdout goto /tmp/mount.out and stderr end up in the file
/tmp/mount.err

Also with kernel errors of that nature you'll find that they end up in
/var/log/messages (or similar check /etc/syslog.conf for the exact location)

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */