[plug] Linux/Win2000 feature comparison guide

Russell Keith-Magee keithmag at cs.curtin.edu.au
Tue Oct 31 07:38:07 WST 2000

Oliver White wrote:

> Leon Brooks wrote:
>
> > Sorry, must disagree. You can edit these things with GUI tools no more difficult
> > to use than Notepad. And I _want_ it that way, given that their alternative is
> > implicitly the Registry.
>
> Still, it does make a point. It would be really nice to have a more consistent
> configuration system, rather than the mess that /etc/ is. Maybe we could get the
> Linux Standards Base to whip one up for us. *snort*

This is one of the project aims of the Helixcode people. From the web
page:
http://www.helixcode.com/tech/helix-setup-tools.php3

``The Helix Setup Tools are a set of host configuration tools, targeted
at the average inexperienced user. Their purpose is to hide the
complexity of typical configuration tasks that earlier required editing
configuration files by hand or familiarizing yourself with particular
distribution-provided tools, while maintaining a high level of
interoperability with these tools and other, more manual ways of
configuring the system.''

Initial focus looks like basic network services, but from what I've seen
and read the end goal is to practially replace /etc...

Of course, in the mean time, there's Linuxconf and Lizard... (says he,
gagging...)

Russ Magee %-)
Russell Keith-Magee
PhD Research Student
School of Computing, Curtin University of Technology
email: keithmag at cs.curtin.edu.au OR russ.magee at computer.org
WWW:   http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~keithmag
Ph: +61 8 9266 2129    FAX +61 8 9266 2819