[plug] Linux/Win2000 feature comparison guide

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Oct 31 11:46:44 WST 2000

Oliver White wrote:
> Leon Brooks wrote:
>> Sorry, must disagree. You can edit these things with GUI tools no more difficult
>> to use than Notepad. And I _want_ it that way, given that their alternative is
>> implicitly the Registry.

> Still, it does make a point. It would be really nice to have a more consistent
> configuration system, rather than the mess that /etc/ is. Maybe we could get the
> Linux Standards Base to whip one up for us. *snort*

Consistent: yes. Fragile and insecure: no. Proprietary/pecuilar to Linux: don't
start me! (-:

One of the advantages of the Unix world in general is that even if software
doesn't fit into the general scheme of things (LSB or whatever) on a box, it can
still easily be made to work. I'd hate to lose that.

--
The box said "Requires Windows 98 or better." So I installed Linux.