[plug] O'Reilly

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 1 13:35:57 WST 2000

Colin Muller wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
>
> > Pity their web site isn't a bit more useful (like including price lists,
> > etc), but, they had advised me previously, that they wanted no part of
> > the Internet, and no Internet presence.
>
> Bizarre, given they have a great stock of books relevant to the Net. I
> agree entirely about the site. You could try http://www.nedkelly.com.au/
> - a WA company (Cottesloe, if I remember correctly). Their on-line book
> catalogue was not huge last time I looked, but, like Boffins, they're
> very helpful (responded very quickly and efficiently to email queries
> from me).
>
> Colin

Yep, it's there.... $42.04 (anyone still got any two cent coins, or, do
they still have one cent coins?).

Thanks for the pointer.

While their information about the books could possibly be expanded a
little (like amazon, eg, no. of pages, includes CD, etc, and, also,
where a book includes, or, refers to, a Linux distribution, the version
number would be useful; cf
http://www.nedkelly.com.au/books/book.asp?ISBN=0764506633 , the Red Hat
Linux for Dummies book, of which I have seen a copy, with the RH 6.1
CD,  for $40.60, which is about $5.50 more expensive than the nedkelly
price, at the Murdoch Uni bookshop,), the website, and therefore, the
bookshop, appear to be useful.

Unfortunately, while Boffins in the past, may have provided good
service, shortcomings like the lack of a website like the nedkelly one,
or, even an email address, to which to send queries, will likely mean
that they lose potential trade, to bookshops that show that they do keep
up with the times.

I will have to have a look at a copy of the book, sometime.

--

Bret Busby