[plug] Check disk

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Sep 4 08:24:37 WST 2000

Mike Holland wrote:
> you dont need defrag on a real OS. :) kind-of. Linux doenst tend to
> suffer from those problems for various reasons. (Does NT with NTFS?)

Fragmentation, not much. Journalling, however... a lot of NT sysadmins install
their system stuff on a FAT partition - and never mind the security issues - so
that they have a base from which to begin repairing their machine _when_ the
NTFS "journalling" fails them during an unexpected outage.

BTW, if you dabble in filesystems at all, read last week's LWN page on Tux2fs, a
bulletproofing concept one conceptual level higher than "plain" journalling.

--
"When I die, I want go out just like my grandfather, in his sleep,
peaceful and quiet... not kicking and screaming like the other guys