[plug] Web Site

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 5 21:40:31 WST 2000

Joshua Pierre wrote:

> Well,
>
> Finally the final site is up at http://plug.linux.org.au/~alpha/index.phtml
> It will be updated, spelleched etc but the content is there and the looks too =)
>
> So have a peek and tell me what you think.
>
> Cheers
>
> Josh
>
> --
> Joshua Pierre           Indigo Networks - Technical Support
> alpha at indigo.net.au     http://www.indigo.net.au

A question, and, one or two suggestions, etc...

1. Question - what is phtml?

2. demo screen, from News page - is 1024 x 768; maybe 800 x 600 would be
better, for those poor people of us, who cannot afford 17" and larger
monitors, and graphics cards with resolution higher than 800 x 600. The
content of the demo screen is good - showing multitasking. Perhaps, a
comment, that it is the GNOME desktop or windows manager (or whatever
exactly it is named), for people not familiar with Linux, and,
indicating that it is only one of the possible desktops (or windows
managers or wahtever), would be good. (I assume it is GNOME, from the
footprint)

3. The header, across the top, and, the menu down the left side, of the
web pages, - perhaps they could be better done as frames? That way, they
would not need to be downloaded, and, redrawn, when one of the internal
links on the website is followed.

4. Any chance of mugshots of the office-bearers? Treasurer on Members
page is misspelt. Perhaps, on Members page, if not names, then, a count,
might be useful?

5. Can you include some Perl or PHP, to display information, such as
"Driven by Apache, version...", "This server powered by Linux
version...", etc, to show that it is not running on MS products?

6. Google Search, top right corner - should that have something like a
"Go", or, a "Search", button, beside the text box?

7. Menu on left side, should have a "Home" option, to return to the home
page.

8. On the Resources -> Other Links page, how about including a link to
www.li.org? also, since Caldera are a sponsor of the Installfest, how
about including them, in the Distributions links?

9. On the Acknowledgements page, there is no link for the Tennyson
group. I assume that they do not have an Internet presence. If that is
correct, as they provide a meeting place (I assume that it is free of
charge), how about Matt offering them a web presence on the PLUG server
(barter - a favour for a favour), and, including a link on the
Acknowledgements page?

10. Since Jeremy mentioned it (and, I missed it), in the menu on the
left side, "Maling List" appears to show that all the members are males,
in desperate need of females...

11. The name, in the top left corner - could it be made a bit bigger,
with the font operhaps a little more open? On my 15", 800 x 600 screen,
it is a little difficult to read.

The above are just suggestions, etc, intended to be helpful. Keep up the
good work...

--

Bret Busby