[plug] website: phtml, screenshot sizes, etc

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Sep 5 22:31:55 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:
> A question, and, one or two suggestions, etc...

> 1. Question - what is phtml?

HTML with embedded PHP script.

> 2. demo screen, from News page - is 1024 x 768; maybe 800 x 600 would be
> better

How about a set of scaled choices? 1600x1200 1024x768 800x600 640x480 for
example?

> 3. The header, across the top, and, the menu down the left side, of the
> web pages, - perhaps they could be better done as frames? That way, they
> would not need to be downloaded, and, redrawn, when one of the internal
> links on the website is followed.

It's a pain in the rectum for a framesless browser. Because Josh has used PHP it
should actually be possible to do both (plus maybe a text version) by, for
example, referencing the same URIs through different hostnames, and coding
accordingly. Maybe later.

> 4. Any chance of mugshots of the office-bearers? Treasurer on Members
> page is misspelt. Perhaps, on Members page, if not names, then, a count,
> might be useful?

The one from Sesame Street would be classic!

> 5. Can you include some Perl or PHP, to display information, such as
> "Driven by Apache, version...", "This server powered by Linux
> version...", etc, to show that it is not running on MS products?

Try this:

    lynx -dump -head http://plug.linux.org.au/

> 6. Google Search, top right corner - should that have something like a
> "Go", or, a "Search", button, beside the text box?

It doesn't actually need it. Just press Enter. An "I'm feeling lucky" might be
appropriate, though.

> "Maling List" appears to show that all the members are males,
> in desperate need of females...

Speak for yourself. I have a surfeit of them. (-:

> 11. The name, in the top left corner - could it be made a bit bigger,
> with the font operhaps a little more open? On my 15", 800 x 600 screen,
> it is a little difficult to read.

Bigger, yes. Using more than times/helvetica/courier cross-platform often fails.
I usually use <font face="$PREFERREDFONT,helvetica,sans-serif"> as this gets a
serfless font on anything not text-based. I must confess that my $PREFERREDFONT
is verdana.

--
"If I employed software developers, and they gave me something
like this, I'd shoot them." -- Abby Franquemont, on Windows