[plug] website: phtml, screenshot sizes, etc

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Sep 5 23:53:26 WST 2000

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Bret Busby wrote:

> I thought that the extension .php , indicated that. Am I correct in
> that? If so, does that mean that they just indicate the same thing?

Yes and yes.

I think .phtml looks prettier but what's in a name, really?

> > How about a set of scaled choices? 1600x1200 1024x768 800x600 640x480 for
> > example?
>
> Perhaps, a set of links to each, so that a visitor can choose?

I think that's what Leon implied.

> Using frames in HTML, usually has an alternative, for frameless
> browsers.

But frames are a pain in the behind on any browser.
(IMHO of course)

> > Try this:
> >
> >     lynx -dump -head http://plug.linux.org.au/
>
> Not being a user of Lynx, what does that do?

Prints the headers of the webpage as returned by the webserver, in this
case including one that says:

Server: Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) Debian/SPARC PHP/3.0.15

I presume Leon was referring to that.

> I have just had a look around, and I am having trouble finding any
> website that includes these logo's at the bottom of the home page;
> "Powered by...Linux", or "Powered by Apache", or, anything like that.

> related products. If they don't, that doesn't mean that PLUG shouldn't.

I agree, some info on the hardware and software we're running would be
great.

> Perhaps, an instruction "Key in the search topic, and press Enter",
> would make it more clear...

"Make something completely foolproof, and only a fool will want to use it"
or
why clutter it up unnecessarily?

> Perhaps, the solution to Windows, is defenestration?

I'll go along with that.
Any companies on this list care to donate copies of windoze we can chuck
out cantech's windows at the installfest? :)

Or maybe we ask the newcomers to bring their windows cds along and tell
'em it's an initiation ritual...

 - Matt