[plug] website: phtml, screenshot sizes, etc

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 5 23:29:39 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
> > A question, and, one or two suggestions, etc...
>
> > 1. Question - what is phtml?
>
> HTML with embedded PHP script.

I thought that the extension .php , indicated that. Am I correct in
that? If so, does that mean that they just indicate the same thing?

> > 2. demo screen, from News page - is 1024 x 768; maybe 800 x 600 would be
> > better
>
> How about a set of scaled choices? 1600x1200 1024x768 800x600 640x480 for
> example?

Perhaps, a set of links to each, so that a visitor can choose?

> > 3. The header, across the top, and, the menu down the left side, of the
> > web pages, - perhaps they could be better done as frames? That way, they
> > would not need to be downloaded, and, redrawn, when one of the internal
> > links on the website is followed.
>
> It's a pain in the rectum for a framesless browser. Because Josh has used PHP it
> should actually be possible to do both (plus maybe a text version) by, for
> example, referencing the same URIs through different hostnames, and coding
> accordingly. Maybe later.

Using frames in HTML, usually has an alternative, for frameless
browsers.

> > 4. Any chance of mugshots of the office-bearers? Treasurer on Members
> > page is misspelt. Perhaps, on Members page, if not names, then, a count,
> > might be useful?
>
> The one from Sesame Street would be classic!

Nein, nein... I meant the number of members... However, a picture of M
le Compte de Sesame Street, could be interesting...

> > 5. Can you include some Perl or PHP, to display information, such as
> > "Driven by Apache, version...", "This server powered by Linux
> > version...", etc, to show that it is not running on MS products?
>
> Try this:
>
>     lynx -dump -head http://plug.linux.org.au/

Not being a user of Lynx, what does that do?

I have just had a look around, and I am having trouble finding any
website that includes these logo's at the bottom of the home page;