[plug] Linux support for schools (fwd)

Niall Young niall at linuxsolutions.net.au
Wed Sep 6 00:18:34 WST 2000

> Looks like both a cron to check the link is up and something in rc.local
> would do the job.  The script should not dial on the weekend of course.
> There's a loss of elegance in having the should-be-connected times in two
> locations (the everyday cron and the recovery technique).  I suppose I could
> make a single script containing the should-be-connected times and call that
> from rc.local and a frequently-called cron.  Have to borrow my bash book
> back . .

Personally I'd use the one script, started on bootup, which handles persistant
redials (and some sanity checking so your phone bill isn't outrageous if the
ISP's end is down).  No real need for a cronjob, you can do everything all in
the one place.  I've attached a few scripts that evolved and were rewritten in
english , it would be trivial to add some day/time checking to make sure it only
dials at the right times, otherwise it'll sleep for x seconds and keep testing
the date until conditions are safe to dial.  What exactly do you need it to do?

> BTW, what, in Oz, is considered a 'reasonable holdoff'?  A minute?  Or more?
> I vaguely recall something in a modem manual suggesting it was naughty to
> slam calls through end-to-end.

You can redial seconds after hanging up, no problem, it's just if the ISP's
systems are broken you may be making phone calls at the rate of 10-20/minute,
@25c/call for however long they're down.

--

Niall Young
niall at linuxsolutions.net.au

		Linux Solutions -- www.linuxsolutions.net.au
	Providing Internet and Audio/Video Solutions and Consulting
		Ph: 0407 421 537 -- info at linuxsolutions.net.au
			PO BOX 1117, Gwelup WA 6018