[plug] Linux support for schools (fwd)

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Sep 6 00:50:20 WST 2000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:18:34AM +0800, Niall Young wrote:
> Personally I'd use the one script, started on bootup, which handles persistant
> redials (and some sanity checking so your phone bill isn't outrageous if the
> ISP's end is down).  No real need for a cronjob, you can do everything all in
> the one place.  I've attached a few scripts that evolved and were rewritten in
> english , it would be trivial to add some day/time checking to make sure it only
> dials at the right times, otherwise it'll sleep for x seconds and keep testing
> the date until conditions are safe to dial.  What exactly do you need it to do?
>
> > BTW, what, in Oz, is considered a 'reasonable holdoff'?  A minute?  Or more?
> > I vaguely recall something in a modem manual suggesting it was naughty to
> > slam calls through end-to-end.
>
> You can redial seconds after hanging up, no problem, it's just if the ISP's
> systems are broken you may be making phone calls at the rate of 10-20/minute,
> @25c/call for however long they're down.

RTFM on pppd. persist means if you get disconnected, redial. holdoff nnnn
means that if I am persisting, wait nnnn number of seconds before redialing.
Try setting nnnn to something like 60 or 600.

Of course, you can do a more sensible approch: an incremental delay
(ie, 5 seconds, 15 seconds, a minute, two minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes,
and then every ten minutes), but if you want it working _now_, then
use holdoff and persist in your /etc/ppp/peers/provider file (or
whichever peer file you want).

Yours,
  James

--