[plug] website: .phtml, frames, Lynx, branding

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Wed Sep 6 09:00:58 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:
> Leon Brooks wrote:
> > Bret Busby wrote:
> > > A question, and, one or two suggestions, etc...

> > > 1. Question - what is phtml?

> > HTML with embedded PHP script.

> I thought that the extension .php , indicated that. Am I correct in
> that? If so, does that mean that they just indicate the same thing?

The PHP people have tried a few different extensions over the years, but seem to
be settling on .php; .phps is actually their most "standard" extension (the file
is displayed, syntax-highlit, as source).

I use and prefer .phtml because (like .shtml, .dhtml, .xhtml) it hints that the
file is basically HTML with extra doodads and a gewgaw or two, whereas
extensions like .php (.asp, .pl, .cgi, whatever...) hint that the file is a
program.

>>> 3. The header, across the top, and, the menu down the left side, of the
>>> web pages, - perhaps they could be better done as frames? That way, they
>>> would not need to be downloaded, and, redrawn, when one of the internal
>>> links on the website is followed.

>> It's a pain in the rectum for a framesless browser. Because Josh has used PHP it
>> should actually be possible to do both (plus maybe a text version) by, for
>> example, referencing the same URIs through different hostnames, and coding
>> accordingly. Maybe later.

> Using frames in HTML, usually has an alternative, for frameless
> browsers.

Frameless is a good place to start. You must concede that frameless HTML *will*
display in a frames-enabled browser.

>>> 5. Can you include some Perl or PHP, to display information, such as
>>> "Driven by Apache, version...", "This server powered by Linux
>>> version...", etc, to show that it is not running on MS products?

>> Try this:

>>     lynx -dump -head http://plug.linux.org.au/

> Not being a user of Lynx, what does that do?

Surely you at least have a working shell to hand?

...or maybe not. Get a copy of PuTTY from here...

...and use it to log in to your member's account at plug.linux.org.au. Then cut
the command from Navigator and paste it into PuTTY.

> I have just had a look around, and I am having trouble finding any
> website that includes these logo's at the bottom of the home page;
> "Powered by...Linux", or "Powered by Apache", or, anything like that.
> Even the local ISP's , or, the ones that I visited (iinet, dialix, wasp,
> amnet), do not appear to display that. I am surprised, the GNU, PHP,
> Perl, PostgreSQL, li.org, slug.org.au, opensource.org, gnome.org,
> kde.org, freshmeat.net, slashdot.org, debian.org, corel.com,
> caldera.com, websites do not display these logo's. I had believed that
> the purpose of these websites, was to promote Linux, and Apache, and
> related products. If they don't, that doesn't mean that PLUG shouldn't.
> The redhat site does say that it is powered by redhat linux, but does
> not mention a web server application.

Good point, Bret+, I'll have to start adding badges (or at least text credits)
wherever I can.

BTW, start using a Linux browser and more people will take you seriously on
issues like this.

>>> "Maling List" appears to show that all the members are males,
>>> in desperate need of females...

>> Speak for yourself. I have a surfeit of them. (-:

> Is that from that naked butt site...?

Dear me, I forgot to count those! O-:

>> --
>> "If I employed software developers, and they gave me something
>> like this, I'd shoot them." -- Abby Franquemont, on Windows

> Perhaps, the solution to Windows, is defenestration?

A strong solution of ammonia usually cleans your Windows off.

--
"I want an Internet.  Can I have one of those?" -- Spice Girl "Mel B.",
aka Scary Spice, pointing to a monitor during an AOL press conference