[plug] The Wittemburg Files!

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Wed Sep 6 09:13:07 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:
> Any companies on this list care to donate copies of windoze we can chuck
> out cantech's windows at the installfest? :)

> Or maybe we ask the newcomers to bring their windows cds along and tell
> 'em it's an initiation ritual...

Two things we can do:

(1) Collate a list of 95 reasons to use Linux instead of Windows, and "nail" it
to the door.

(2) Bring along any old (or new) Microsoft floppies or CDs (too late, Garth?)
and have a ritual burning, if there are suitable bobbicles or fireplaces to
hand. We could also have a Windows 2000 launch if there are any model rocketry
enthusiasts to hand.

The similarities between Martin Luther's situation and today are just too
perfect to ignore: then we had "the" church, now we have "the" software; then
FUD ruled, now FUD rules; then if the Roman church got into trouble it leaned on
State laws for aid, now if Microsoft can't enforce its licencing it leans on
copyright laws for aid; then "the" church was fond of tinkering with standards,
now "the" software company likes to sit on standards boards and stir things up a
litte; then certain monarchs booted "the" church (or at least the Jesuits) out
regularly [I think four times from France, and at least once even from the
Vatican!] for persistently messing where they oughtn't, now the DoJ is doing the
same with "the" software company, then claims that there was a better way were
publicly howled down and secretly welcomed, ditto now...

(3) - yes, I know, I only said two - we can have a "freedom from enervation"
campaign, or at least an informative poster.

--
Your mouse has moved. Please restart Windows so this change
can take effect.