[plug] acrobat reader and printing

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Sep 6 10:59:14 WST 2000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 10:41:18AM +0800, billk at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Hi Christian,
> 	X has a bug when running in 24bit mode which acrobat hits on which can
> give those symptoms.  The advice is to run in 16 or 32 bit mode - in my
> case 32 bits is mapped to 24bits by the driver, leaving me with yukky 16bit
> if I want to use acrobat!  I dont believe any of the apps suggested  can
> handle password protected pdf's (which can give different and odd symptoms
> when confronted by one, rarely even sayings its protected, often gives a
> black page and the app disappears if any manipulation is attempted.)  The
> security provisions within acrobat (and all are placed on these files by
> the author) prevent saving in a different format, cut/paste/copy etc - a
> dead loss in my opinion for distributing this type of content!

That explains my problem because my video card won't run in 32-bit (not
supported by the hardware) and 16-bit (just stuffs up, NFI why) so I'm
stuck with 24-bit.

As for password-protected PDFs, is Hong (I'm assuming it is Hong...)
distributing the PDFs in that form?  (It really doesn't make sense at
all.)  Either way, xpdf does support this.  Under Debian you need the
xpdf-i package so I assume there's something similar under Red Hat. Note
that you may have to get it from a non-US mirror/repository since it
contains some cryptographic code.

Regards,

Christian.