[plug] Linux support for schools

John Breen jbreen at wn.com.au
Wed Sep 6 11:21:18 WST 2000

>BTW, what, in Oz, is considered a 'reasonable holdoff'?  A minute?
>Or more?
>I vaguely recall something in a modem manual suggesting it was
>naughty to
>slam calls through end-to-end.

IIRC, the actual text in modem manuals (at least Austel-approved
modem manuals) is something to the effect that your first retry
should be held off for 60 seconds, then later ones for three minutes,
with a maximum of 3 retries.  Plus some other stuff about it being
naughty to do otherwise, and they might take away your modem...