[plug] Installation of Debian 2.2

Bernard Blackham dagobah at mad.scientist.com
Thu Sep 7 19:54:52 WST 2000

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Linux (about a year's experience and most of it with
Red Hat 6.0). I comfortably got along with Red Hat on my server machine
for the past year and I'm moving to install Debian 2.2 onto my own
personal machine. I've been told it's a lot harder (as I've come to find)
and a couple of questions have come up (and I'm sure there'll be more
soon):

1) I am trying to install VMware (30-day trial) on this machine and it
detects that my development sources are for the 2.2.15 kernel and not the
2.2.17 kernel I have with Debian. This was a clean install of Debian 2.2,
not an upgrade. The linux/version.h contains the kernel id string of
2.2.15. Should this be 2.2.17 or is there something else I need to
install?

2) A lot of documentation also seems to be missing from my installation,
is it included in one of the .deb packages on my 3-cd set?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bernard.

--