[plug] Installation of Debian 2.2

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 7 20:37:28 WST 2000

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 07:54:52PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
[...]
> for the past year and I'm moving to install Debian 2.2 onto my own
> personal machine. I've been told it's a lot harder (as I've come to find)
> and a couple of questions have come up (and I'm sure there'll be more
> soon):

People say that, but for at least anyone that's already had a
Linux box up and running, I can't see how its so bad. Every question
asked has a reason and genuine alteratives - I can't really think of
much that should be skipped.

> 1) I am trying to install VMware (30-day trial) on this machine and it
> detects that my development sources are for the 2.2.15 kernel and not the
> 2.2.17 kernel I have with Debian. This was a clean install of Debian 2.2,
> not an upgrade. The linux/version.h contains the kernel id string of
> 2.2.15. Should this be 2.2.17 or is there something else I need to
> install?

"apt-get install kernel-headers-2.2.17" might be what you need there.

> 2) A lot of documentation also seems to be missing from my installation,
> is it included in one of the .deb packages on my 3-cd set?
[...]

"apt-get install manpages-dev doc-linux-text" might give you two of
the larger chunks you might be expecting. Pretty much every package
will have something in /usr/share/doc/packagename, and some of the
larger programs have a separate documentation package - postgresql-doc
or perl-5.005-doc for example.

Anything in particular you were after?

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal