[plug] ESD

Nigel Duff peregrin at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 8 14:46:04 WST 2000

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 09:46:03PM +0800, BillK wrote:

> Can someone point me to a document (other than on the authors home page
> which I have read, and am none the wiser!) on how to use ESD (the
> Enlightened Sound Demon).  I wish to use to prevent licq  from stopping
> xmms when a message arrives by overlaying the sounds which ESD is
> supposed to allow.  However, the homepage documents I have read are not
> exactly informative as to how I can do this and all attempts so far have
> ended in failure.

 Hi Bill,
 	I haven't found much decent documentation on esd or even E. For
licq, under Options -> OnEvent i have the command set to esdplay. This
is esd's version of the play command. If you want your programs to have
unfettered access to /dev/dsp, just start them with esddsp. Eg: in my
menu for netscape (in E) i have "Netscape" NULL exec "esddsp netscape".

HTH

Nigel