[plug] MS Office and TCO

Shackleton, Kevin kshackleton at agric.wa.gov.au
Sun Sep 10 13:59:44 WST 2000

I go along with Leon's comments.

Our IT support probably spends 2/3 of total time fixing those curious quirks
you get in Office, like page numbering refusing to do what its told,
pictures automatically re-aligning all over and even off the page and
especially the fatal exception error.  Maybe we can blame the OS for the
last, but it happens less often in 3rd-party apps that obey MS's own rules.

I think a little of that time could be put to learning the slightly
different menu layout.

The training argument is similar to our IT manager's reason for not allowing
any Linux severs on site - we don't know how to drive them.  As if we knew
how to drive NT.

K.