[plug] Kernal compile

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Sep 11 08:23:35 WST 2000

Robert Andrews wrote:
> CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPAUTOFW=m

> Does this mean that thigs like IPAUTOFW can be loaded as separate modules
> without recompileing the kernal.

It certainly looks that way.

> I have also checked /proc/sys/net/ipv4 and have only 1 file
> ip_masq_debug

> In   /proc/net I have
> ip_fwchains
> ip_fwnames
> ip_masquerade

> Also in /proc/net/ip_masq
> there is
> app
> autofw
> icmp
> tcp
> udp
> vs
> From the above information would it be fair to say that I have all the
> required files for  ipmasqadm.

You certainly seem to have everything that ipchains would look for.

> The only thing that is not set is
> CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y

This only impacts the number of questions that "make (x|menu|)config" asks you,
has no direct effect on whether code is compiled or not.

> also the lines that have '=y/m' only have the 'm'
> I presume the m is for module and the y is compile or install the module ?.

m is for module, y is for build it directly into the kernel.

--
Tech support is a fine art which, once mastered, virtually ensures
loss of sanity. -- Joe Thompson <joe at cstone.net>