[plug] OT: MS Freedom to enervate

Clive Woodward woodward at omen.net.au
Sun Sep 17 22:01:54 WST 2000

Getting further off topic... ;-)

I agree in part with Alan's VHS versus Beta analogy but his example is not
totally correct. As a technician in the broadcast video field, I must point
out that Beta (domestic) and Betacam have very little in common, other than
being based on a physically similar cassette size (Betacam tape speed is
six times that of Beta). VHS has a broadcast relative, too: "M" and more
recently "M-2" (again with substantial differences other than basic shell
dimensions). M-2 has a similar broadcast market share in the USA as BetacamSP.

The real Beta v's VHS argument is that Sony would licence its Beta format
to only two other players (Sanyo and Toshiba from memory), whilst VHS
(JVC's baby) was more freely available to other manufacturers. Beta may
have been marginally better on specification but it was always more
expensive to buy the hardware. VHS won.

In terms of Windoze v's Linux, more the opposite way around, yet M$ wins?

Sorry for the bandwidth :-)

Clive.

At 20:54 Sunday 17-09-00 +0800, you wrote:

>it reminds me of the VHS versus BETA video debate many years ago . the
>superior system (BETA) lost against VHS in the home, while BETACAM is used
>profesionally and not VHS. Which is superior? The one that sells the most,
>or the one that performs the best?
>regards
>alan howard

                                 Clive Woodward t/as:
                     .           WOODRONICS [ABN 27 278 784 779]
               _/- /_|\          PO Box 74
             .~  |     \                 Applecross WA 6953
             \ WA|      \        AUSTRALIA
                     "-"         Phone:  +61 8 9364 3293
                      V          Fax:    +61 8 9316 8399
                                 Mobile: 0403 006 153
                                 email:  woodward at omen.net.au

                 CONTRACTING AND CONSULTING IN PROFESSIONAL
                 & BROADCAST AUDIO AND VIDEO ELECTRONICS.

         "It's not a problem, it's an opportunity! I'll make it work."