[plug] MS Freedom to inovate network ????? (off topic )

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Sep 18 10:48:55 WST 2000

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 09:56:04AM +0800, Bradley Woodward wrote:
> At 09:41 AM 18/09/2000, you wrote:
> >I doubt they would do this given the stranglehold Apache has on the web
> >server market but the idea is definitely something they might consider.
>
> It's not that much of a strangle hold, to be honest.  Netcraft modified
> their surveys, and now don't include default installs, that aren't real web
> sites.  They call them "active" sites, and the percentages are very close.

Ummm... sorry?  The percentage dropped about 3%.  Apache has 59.6%
market share ("active sites") according to the link above.  The next
highest is Microsoft with 26.8% so Apache has more than double the next
highest.  It may not be quite as much as Microsoft's monopoly on the
desktop but it's still a figurative stranglehold in my book!  The
previous suggestion that Microsoft would make IE not work with Apache is
ludicrous based on these figures -- IE users would be denied access to
OVER HALF of the web sites they went to visit.  If IE could only work
with IIS then IE users then THREE QUARTERS of the web would be out
of reach.  Of course there are a million and one ways to play with
statistics and do dodgy experimental studies but, however, you look at
it such an attempt by Microsoft would be very foolhardy which was the
point I was trying to make.