[plug] FAQ - alpha release

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Mon Sep 18 11:32:05 WST 2000

Here's the alpha-release version of the PLUG FAQ.  I apologise in advance
if there are problems with formatting.  If you spot any problems please
forward them to me.  Also if you have anything that should be added contact
me with the relevant details.

To Joshua Pierre: I can get you a HTML version for the web site by Thursday
if nothing intrudes.

--- Begin FAQ ---

$VERSION 0.2 20000918
Maintainer: skribe at amber.com.au
Perth Linux User Group (PLUG) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) with Answers

This is the FAQ for the Perth Linux User Group (PLUG). PLUG is an
association dealing primarily with the use of all forms and distributions
of GNU/Linux in Perth, Western Australia.

Table of Contents

1.0 General Information
	1.1	What is PLUG?
	1.2	What are the aims of PLUG?
	1.3	What does PLUG do?
	1.4	How do I join PLUG?
	1.5	What are the benefits for members?
	1.6	When does PLUG meet?
	1.7	Who are the current Office Bearers of PLUG?
	1.8	Is PLUG incorporated?

2.0 Mailing List
	2.1	How do I join the mailing List?
	2.2	How do I leave the mailing list?
	2.3	How busy is the mailing list?
	2.4	What is acceptable behaviour?
	2.5	What is netiquette?
	2.6	What are flamebait and trolls?
	2.7	What has already been discussed?
	2.8	What topics should I avoid?
	2.9	Who maintains the mailing list?

3.0 Web Site
	3.1	Where is the web site?
	3.2	Who is the web site maintainer?

4.0 The Library
	4.1	How do I access the library?
*	4.2	What's in the library?

5.0 Spark
	5.1	What is Spark?
	5.2	How do I get an account on Spark?

6.0 Linux in Perth
	6.1	Where can I get Linux in Perth?
*	6.2	Are there any linux-friendly retailers?
	6.3	Are there any linux-friendly ISPs?

7.0 Linux Links
	7.1	What can I go to find out more about Linux?

8.0 Miscellaneous
*	8.1	Contributors

(*) incomplete - need more information.

1.0 General Information

1.1 	What is PLUG?

	PLUG stands for Perth Linux User Group.  It is an association dealing
primarily with all forms and distributions of the GNU/Linux computer
operating system.  It is based in Perth, Western Australia, although
membership is not limited to those living in the Perth metropolitian
area.  We have members and associates from across the world.

1.2	What are the aims of PLUG?

	Apart from saving the world, PLUG exists to promote and support Linux in
Perth, Western Australia.  Its mission is threefold:

	i. 	Advocate the use of Linux.
	ii. 	Provide a focal point for local users to make contacts to get help.
	iii.	Improve the groups' knowledge about Linux and associated products.

1.3	What does PLUG do?

	Mailing list:  This is arguably the most active area of PLUG.  The mailing
list allows PLUG's members to provide support for Linux as well as keep its
members informed about what's happening in the computing world.  There are
also discussions about features of the various linux distributions and of
course we joke around and have fun as only computing geeks know how =). See
also 2.0.

	Website:  The website allows members to keep informed about the latest
club activities and news.  It's our virtual newsletter.  It also has a
search facility, so that members can check the archives of the mailing
list, and a listing of the library's contents. See also 3.0.

	Library:  The library is small but growing.  It is mainly software at the
moment although books will hopefully become available soon.  To see what we
have available in the library check the website.  See also 4.0.

	Meetings:  PLUG holds two types of regular meetings:

		i.	Seminars - a talk about one or more aspects of Linux.  There is
usually a question and answer session afterward.
		ii.	Problem-solving - Bring your own computer in and the linux members
will tinker with it to help solve the problems you're having with linux.

	Promote Linux:   PLUG is most active in their promotion of Linux through
the running of Installfests.  These allow the general public to have linux
installed on their computer system by members of PLUG.

1.4	How do I join PLUG?

	The current cost for membership to PLUG is $10.  You can join at one of
the meetings or by making a secret rendezvous with the Secretary, Tony.

1.5	What are the benefits for members?

	Members get an account on Spark, the association's computer.  They also
get access to the club library.  They will hopefully soon get discounts at
certain retailers/ISPs etc.

1.6	When does PLUG meet?

	PLUG meets twice per month:

		2nd Tuesday of the month they meet at Tennyson Group Office (Seminar)
		4th Monday of the month they meet at UCC.	(Problem solver)

1.7	Who are the current Office Bearers of PLUG?

	President: 	Matt Kemner
	Vice-President: Ian Kent
	Secretary:	Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima
	Treasurer: David Campbell (acting:Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima)

1.8	Is PLUG incorporated?

	Yes.  We did it so PLUG can hold property and accept donations, monetary
or hardware.

2.0 Mailing List

2.1	How do I join the mailing List?

	To join it send an e-mail to : plug-request at plug.linux.org.au containing
the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject OR body of the message.

2.2	How do I leave the mailing list?

	You can check out any time you like but you can never leave.
Bwhahahahahaha!  But seriously, send a message to
plug-request at plug.linux.org.au containing the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the
subject OR body of the message.

	DO NOT SEND "UNSUBSCRIBE" MESSAGES TO THE PLUG at PLUG.LINUX.ORG.AU
ADDRESS!  It annoys us, makes you
look silly in front of everyone and is just generally considered very poor
form.  Remember we live in the same city.  We can easily find out where you
live =).

2.3	How busy is the mailing list?

	The mailing list varies in its level of activity.  On average I'd guess
the list receives about 10-20 messages per day, although there have been
days with zero messages and sometimes days of 40 or more.

2.4	What is acceptable behaviour?

	No flames.  No trolls.  Basic netiquette.
	If there is someone that you find repeatedly annoys you on the list, don't
flame them.  Either ignore them or set up a killfile filter. Ask on the
mailing list how to do this.  It depends on what software you're
using.  I'll include a basic how-to if necessary.

2.5	What is netiquette?

	Netiquette are the unwritten rules of behaviour on the
internet.  Fortunately someone has written them down: Go
here.
http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/Information_and_Documentation/Beginner_s_Guides/Netiquette/

2.6	What are flames, flamebait and trolls?

	A flame is a verbal attack, usually personal in nature.
	Flamebait or a troll is a message (usually offtopic) that is designed to
incite a negative emotional response:  i.e. strong criticism of particular
linux distributions, editors, operating systems and even mail servers can
be considered flamebait. (See 2.8) -

MAINTAINER'S NOTE - Don't criticise the free software movement either.  Not
even in jest =).

2.7	What has already been discussed?

	A lot of stuff has already been discussed.  New member to the list are
encouraged to search recent list postings (last few months) in case their
questions have already been answered.  A search facility is available via
the web site.

2.8	What topics should I avoid?

	Anything that is controversial or infammatory.  Such things as asking
which linux distribution is the best.  The answer to this question depends
on what you're trying to do with linux and assorted other
factors.  Invariably you'll be told to try the more popular ones (RedHat,
Debian, Slackware, Mandrake, SUSE, Caldera, etc) and discover which one
suits your needs best.  While "What is the best distribution?" isn't
particularly welcome, asking "What is the best distribution/software for me
to use in <very specific situation>?" is entirely reasonable....  (See also
7.1)

	Also avoid talking about any topics that have been talked to
death.  Discussing the reply-to header of the mailing list is definitely a
topic to be avoided.  If you're new to the list check the archives before
asking your question.

2.9	Who maintains the mailing list?

	Currently Matt Kemner maintains the list.  He can be reached at
zombie at wasp.net.au.

3.0 	Web Site

3.1	Where is the web site?

	The Web site is at http://plug.linux.org.au/

3.2	Who is the web site maintainer?

	The web site is currently maintained by Joshua Pierre (alpha at indigo.net.au).

4.0 The Library

4.1	How do I access the library?

	The library is currently held by Tony.  To access it you have to contact
him or show up to one of the meetings.

4.2	What's in the library?

	The library catalogue is here (or will be soon =).
http://plug.linux.org.au/library/catalogue/

5.0 Spark

5.1	What is Spark?

	Spark is PLUG's computer.  It is a SPARC (details?).  It runs the mailing
list and the web site.  When we can convince it to run more we will =).

5.2	How do I get an account on Spark?

	You have to be a member.  Contact Matt Kemner (zombie at wasp.net.au) for
further details.

6.0 Linux in Perth

6.1	Where can I get Linux in Perth?

	The best and easiest way to get linux is from the PLUG library or from one
of it's members.  Just ask at a meeting or on the mailing
list.  Alternatively, if you have a relatively fast net connection (or
don't mind waiting several days) you can download it from the
internet.   Linux can also be obtained from a number of retailers.  These
include:

	i.	Navada Computers
	ii.	Myer
	iii.	Computer Hardware House (do they still exist?)
	iv.	Others (please add to the list)

6.2	Are there any linux-friendly hardware retailers?

	Probably, but I don't know who they are.  Can anyone else help here?

6.3	Are there any linux-friendly ISPs?

	i.	IINet Technologies
	ii.	Cantech Online
	iii.	WASP
	iv.	Others (please add to the list)

7.0 Linux Links

7.1	Where can I go to find out more about Linux?  Here's a few off the top
of my head.  Others please:

	General
		Linux Australia	http://www.linux.org.au/
		Linux Home Page	http://www.linux.org/
		LinuxHQ		http://www.linuxhq.com/
		Linux	Life		http://www.linuxlife.org/

	Distributions
		Red Hat		http://www.redhat.com/
		Debian			http://www.debian.org/
		Slackware		http://www.cdrom.com/
		SUSE			http://www.suse.com/
		Caldera			http://www.caldera.com/
		Mandrake		http://www.mandrake.com/

		A comprehensive review of the various distributions (as at September
2000) can be found at:

		http://www.apcmag.com/apcmag.nsf/a796bff82774ce0eca25693100486bc9/3bb909f41faf59ddca25694c001fde42!OpenDocument&Highlight=2,Linux

	Applications
		Freshmeat		http://www.freshmeat.net/
		Rufus			http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/

	Security
		http://www.securityportal.com/lasg
		http://www.nic.com/~dave/SecurityAdminGuide/SecurityAdminGuide.html
		http://www.linuxsecurity.com/

	Discussion and News
		Slashdot		http://slashdot.org/
		Linux Today		http://www.linuxtoday.com/

8.0 Miscellaneous

8.1	Contributors

	PLUG would not be possible without the wonderful support of the following
people and organisations:

	Gary  Allpike for his hard work during the inception of PLUG.
         	Linux Australia for hosting the domain and supporting PLUG.
         	Matt Kemner for spark and for running the mailing list
        	 WASP for bandwidth
         	Linus Torvalds for starting the whole shebang.