[plug] IPChains

Damion Hill dhill at wantree.com.au
Mon Sep 18 22:22:51 WST 2000

On 18 Sep 00, at 22:04, Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Damion Hill wrote:
>
> > The one thing that needs attention is the setting for the IP
> > address.  I dial to iiNet who assign an ip depending on which port
> > you've dialed in to.
>
> What is in the script (and what does it do) and why does it need to
> know your IP address?

Matt,

This is an excert from my script

# Macro defs
PPPADDR="203.59.179.249"
UNPRIVPORTS="1024:65535"

# Retrieve mail (POP3) from any host
ipchains -A input -j ACCEPT -i ppp0 -p tcp -s any/0 110 -d
$PPPADDR $UNPRIVPORT
ipchains -A output -j ACCEPT -i ppp0 -p tcp -d any/0 110 -s
$PPPADDR $UNPRIVPORT

A reply from Kai (off list) showed me that he is using the interface
(ppp0) rather than the IP address. I think this is where I'm going
wrong.

Damion.
--
Damion Hill