[plug] Samba query (fwd)

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Sep 21 22:09:27 WST 2000

At 07:13 PM 9/21/00 +1100, you wrote:
>I don't know enough about SMB to answer how W2k responds.
>
>Maybe Richard Sharpe who is a SMB expert can supply an answer?

I have seen this sort of thing happen with Win98 and perhaps Win2K when the
DHCP server is not available.

Because SMB over NetBIOS over TCP relies on TCP, and uses broadcasts or
WINS for address resolution and uses broadcasts for browsing functionality,
not much is likely to work if a client comes up in a different subnet to
the server.

There is a lot of material describing the actual protocols etc in Special
Edition, Using Samba, which may help to understand this stuff.

>Regards, Arie de Vries.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com