[plug] ESS Audio Card and Real Encoder

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Sat Sep 23 02:41:57 WST 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Kai wrote:
> Hi Nick,
> I just checked and it looks like I've got the same card you do !
> ESS1868 Audio Drive although isapnpdump|more shows it as "Vendor ID ESS0968,
> Serial 1291845632...."
> Have you had any luck getting yours to work without fault?
> Would you, or anyone on the list, know of a card that's available today
> which I can use that will work no worries?
>
> The Radio server is currently running 5.2 but it's moving to another machine
> which has 6.2 in about 2 or 3 weeks.
> Which cards do you (or anyone) know of that work goo don 6.2?
>
> Cheers!

I have had no problems getting my old ess 1868 working. It is a PNP card so you
must configure isapnp to configure it on startup, then load the sb and
associated modules. (see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/ESS1868 for
more information)

If you have more money than sense, then an sblive is simpler to setup.
(download and compile driver from opensource.creative.com)

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au