[plug] SCSI CDR/CDRW advice needed [followup]

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Fri Sep 22 07:49:21 WST 2000

I have a mate with the Sony. It's a beaut unit, fast and effective, but his
experience is only in Windows unfortunately.

Do you only want to operate this thing in Linux? If you have are planning to
run dual boot with Windoze, and use it for some burning in that
"environment" (I use the term loosely), there are advantages in having an
IDE burner. Sure it causes additional hassles in Linux, but there are ways
around that, and there are certain burning programs in Windows that can
reproduce most forms of CD copy protection, but only with common, cheap as
chips IDE burners. (one such program is CD-Clone, and the other is Blind
Read.)

I am not condoning piracy, I'm only saying that it sucks when you fork out
good money for something, and you can't back it up. My two year old daughter
loves her educational CD ROMS, for using in our computer AND for drawing on!

Clearly, if you only call is to Linux, SCSI all the way.

Dennis.