[plug] SCSI CDR/CDRW advice needed [followup]

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Sep 22 09:34:46 WST 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Dennis Plester wrote:

> Do you only want to operate this thing in Linux? If you have are planning to
> run dual boot with Windoze, and use it for some burning in that
> "environment" (I use the term loosely), there are advantages in having an
> IDE burner.

In my (ok somewhat limited) experience with Windoze, it is advantageous to
use a SCSI writer, because the IDE writers are too easy to interrupt (by
eg, moving the mouse)

> Sure it causes additional hassles in Linux, but there are ways
> around that

It's not that much of a hassle really, and instructions to make an IDE
writer do it's stuff under Linux has been posted to this list at least
once, and with the difference in price between IDE and SCSI I don't see
why you would want to get a SCSI writer, unless you've got more than 2
other IDE devices already - because the writer really ought to be on an
IDE channel by itself.

CD writing is also much more stable under Linux - you don't need to worry
as much about interrupting it, even when using an IDE writer.
You'll be able to see several IDE writers in action on Sunday, if you're
coming along to the Installfest

 - Matt