[plug] /etc/bashrc

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Sep 22 09:28:16 WST 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Kai wrote:

> What I would like to know is how to get, for example, Netscape 4.73 to work
> by typing "netscape &" at the prompt.
> I know you gotta edit the profile or something to that effect (one file
> that's got the same effect on Windows as autoexec.bat with it's file and
> pathnames) but I am not sure how it's done or what file.

See my previous message in this thread for an idea of which file does
what.

> $netscape=/usr/local/netscape473/netscape

You're thinking of:

alias netscape=/usr/local/netscape473/netscape

although personally I prefer to just do

ln -s /usr/local/netscape473/netscape /usr/local/bin/netscape

from the command line, making a symbolic link to netscape in
/usr/local/bin

Then just ensure /usr/local/bin/ is in your PATH

You may need to add the line:

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

to your /etc/profile and/or /etc/bashrc

 - Matt