[plug] ESS Audio Card and Real Encoder

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 22 14:46:13 WST 2000

Nick Bannon wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 02:09:09PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> [...]
> > that had sound capability, was sure to have a driver for them. But, from
> > what I understand, 16 bit sound has gone the same way as black and white
> > television, just a step on the way, that has come and gone.
>
> 16 bit sound is very much the norm, though when doing sound
> processing inside a DSP you might use 24 bit to preserve accuracy.
>
> Alternatives are mostly 8 bit (linear is a bit sucky, log, ie mu-law
> or a-law is perfectly decent) or 1 bit (the PC speaker...).
>
> This has nothing to do with the bus the card is on, or how many
> "voices" it can play at once, or anything like that, which is where
> the 32/64/96/128 and so on numbers you might see come from.
>
> We've reached the point where 16 bit stereo sound is a very cheap
> and perfectly decent standard and the possible improvements (3D
> sound processors or 5.1 Dolby, etc) are optional fluff.
>
> Nick.
>
> --
>   Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
> nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal

I stand corrected.

I understood that the 32/64/... were the number of bits; eg SB128 was a
128 bit sound card, suitable for very high fidelity, digital sound.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988