[plug] ESS Audio Card and Real Encoder

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Sep 22 15:14:13 WST 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Bret Busby wrote:

> I understood that the 32/64/... were the number of bits; eg SB128 was a
> 128 bit sound card, suitable for very high fidelity, digital sound.

That's a very misconception, but I guess it's because it's a marketing
thing - make a big fanfare about how the SB16 is 16bit sound, and then
start advertising a SB32 etc and say nothing about the fact it's still
only 16 bits

anyway, I upgraded my SB16 to a SB128 PCI, decided the sound quality was
actually _worse_, so sold that too, and bought another SB16.

A SBLiVE would be nice though

 - Matt(Lies, Damn Lies and Marketing)