[plug] XMMS

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Fri Sep 22 22:43:27 WST 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Gavan Blunt wrote:
> On my RH6.2 machine, I'm having lots of probs with xmms.  Since installing
> helix gnome 1.2, it suffers from lots of skips, keeps intermittently
> fading/zooming volume to either left or right, terrible performance when
> anything else is reading from disk, and just generally giving me the irrits.
> I've just upgraded to the latest version of xmms and the problem seems to
> have been slightly reduced, but hasn't gone away completely.  Does anyone
> have any ideas on what may be wrong (other than the fact that I'm running
> gnome 1.2 on a P166/64MB machine)?

Hmmm, apart from running the new gnome (does your machine swap a lot, what is
the load top gives you), you can try:

1) removing ~/.xmms/config. XMMS's default settings are quite good for
buffering, and playing around with them may mess them up.

2) fiddlinging with the mp3 buffer sizes.

3) worse case, apply the low latency patches for linux, and recompile your
kernel.

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au