[plug] Red Hat 7

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 26 13:14:50 WST 2000

Jason Nicholls wrote:

> G'day,
>
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 12:30:59PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > Garry wrote:
> > >
> > > For those interested, Red Hat 7 is now avalable.
> > >
> > > details at: www.redhat.com/products/software
> > >
> > > Garry
> >
> > Any idea what kernel it uses? The web pages say that it is "2.4 ready";
> > indicating that whatever kernel it uses, can be replaced with the 2.4
> > kernel (if I understand that right), but, I could not find what kernel
> > it uses.
> >
> > And, of course, this comes, just after we started replacing my RH 5.2
> > with 6.2...
> >
> > Has anyone installed it yet? Noticed any significant differences in 7.0
> > over 6.2?
> >
> > Any disks been cut locally?
>
> Please check:
>
>         http://www.redhat.com/products/software/linux/pl_rhl7.html
>
> for a package listing of rh7. In summary:
>
>         - like 6.2 +
>                 - latest gnome stuff (say 6.2 + helix gnome)
>                 - stuff that has been missing for a long time due to whatever
>                   reasons:
>                         - mysql
>                         - openssl (+ssh)
>                 - XFree86 4.0.1
>         - better (matter of opinion) config tools etc...

I have looked at that web page.

We are more interested in PostGreSQl, and not in mySQL. I don't remember
seeing either PHP, or PostgreSQL, in the package list, though PHP was, I
think, mentioned, as included in the server edition overview.

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my questioning; for example,
is the hardware autodetection significantly better? Does it run on a
486? (RH 6.0 does, with 16MB RAM.) I saw that it includes a GUI firewall
setup, for the server edition, but, how good is it?.