[plug] Red Hat 7

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 26 13:36:32 WST 2000

Christian wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 12:30:59PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> > Any idea what kernel it uses? The web pages say that it is "2.4 ready";
> > indicating that whatever kernel it uses, can be replaced with the 2.4
> > kernel (if I understand that right), but, I could not find what kernel
> > it uses.
>
> Does it matter?  With the exception of major number changes (e.g. 2.0 ->
> 2.2), it really doesn't make that much of a difference because you can
> just install whatever kernel you want.  But, given that 2.2.17 has been
> out for a little while now, it would seem likely that it uses this.
>
> > And, of course, this comes, just after we started replacing my RH 5.2
> > with 6.2...
>
> See, if you were running Debian then the prospect of upgrading wouldn't
> bother you in the slightest...

That sounds like you are inviting a potato fight ;) or a "distro war".
Out come the spud guns!

The September 2000 issue of Australian Personal Computer review of the
more common Linux distributions, says about Linux;
"Debian GNU/Linux 2.1
Described as 'Linux for hackers, by hackers, Debian is respected among
technical users as a compact and well-crafted distribution. It isn't
user-friendly and it doesn't try to be; it's a hands-on way to run a
finely tuned operationg system, and demands extensive Linux
knowledge."..."The desktop is almost non-existent."..."As Debian is
targeted at the expert Linux user,..."

Thus, it appears that a user has to be a Linux guru, or, approaching
guru status.

And, with what I heard of the results of the Debian installs at the
installfest, it can be problematic (unless the installer/user is a Linux
guru-type person).

However, as I have told others, Christian has shown me the ease of
adding a package, using a Debian system. It appears that, once a user
gets past the difficulties of instasllation and configuration, it is
simple to use (?)

Also, people who tried to have Mandrake installed, appear to have had
problems, which, apparently, was why, in some cases, Debian was tried.

It appears that Red Hat seems to be the distribution for us to use (we
believe).

I note also, that the APC review said of Mandrake 7.1 "Despite its buggy
reputation, Mandrake is more stable than most non-Linux operating
systems". So, at least, Mandrake is more stable than Win 9x ;) Perhaps
the bugginess of Mandrake's repute, is the reason for the problems at
the installfest?

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988